The worst types of injuries are the ones that affect children. Whenever children are the victims of sexual assault and abuse, we immediately want to find out who committed it. The individual who causes this type of injury must be held accountable for their actions. These crimes are often committed by individuals that children trust. It could be family members, mentors, teachers, or even priests. If this ever happens to your child or you, contact a Los Angeles sexual abuse lawyer right away.
Sexual abuse does not only leave physical scars. It also leaves emotional and mental scars. Those injuries can unfortunately last for a lifetime.
Our skilled mass tort attorneys at Rueb Stoller Daniel are fully committed to ensuring that sexual abuse victims receive justice. They will ensure that responsible individuals are held accountable for their actions. We will fight aggressively to ensure that your family receives the compensation that it deserves. Call our Los Angeles sexual abuse law firm today at (833) 44-DRLAW or fill out our online consultation form. We respect the privacy of our clients. Rest assured that your information will be confidential at all times.
What is Sexual Abuse?
There are many different forms of sexual abuse. Detecting it can be difficult at times. The victim is usually abused by a person they trust. Therefore, they are frequently afraid to report this abuse, even to their own parents.
From a legal standpoint, sexual abuse is any type of unwanted sexual contact. It may involve any of the things below:
- Oral sex
- Exposing one’s private body parts to a child
- Asking a minor to send videos or pictures of themselves in an inappropriate way
- Taking photos that are inappropriate of a child for distribution or personal use
- Exposing a child to pornography
- Exposing a child to language that is sexually charged
- Showing explicit images to children
- Touching and fondling that is of a sexual nature
What Elements Commonly Contribute To Sexual Abuse?
Sexual abuse, unfortunately, usually involves a person in a position of authority or power. Their power is used to take advantage of the victim. The following are elements involved in sexual abuse:
An individual with authority over a victim takes advantage of them. It could be a member of the clergy, relative, or teacher.
The individual who abuses a victim is often someone who is a lot older. There are many adults who take advantage of children. These people are sick and participate in unwanted sexual advances towards an adolescent or child. Given how young they are, many sexual abuse victims suffer from mental health issues such as the following:
- Personality disorders
- Substance abuse problems
A majority of adult victims are women. Since they tend to be smaller in size, they are unable to physically repel a male who is attempting to abuse them.
Victims are carefully chosen by sexual predators. They deliberately choose individuals who they know will be afraid to report or tell anyone about their abuse.
Experienced class action lawyers in Los Angeles, CA, are prepared to handle all kinds of cases. They will work to get you and your family member justice.
What are some of the main Effects Caused by Sexual Abuse?
Usually, sexual abuse victims suffer in numerous ways: physically, mentally, and emotionally. They frequently are afraid to report their abuse. It can be as harmful to the victim as the actual sexual abuse. After they have kept their secret for such a long time, they feel depressed, fearful, and anxious.
There are a number of different warning signs involved in sexual abuse, including the following:
- Obsessed with sex – movies, reading material, etc.
- Unhealthy attitudes about sex
- Low feelings of self-worth
- Low self-esteem and depression
- They do not participate in class and their grades suffer the way they did in the past
- Sudden behavioral changes – socially, in school, and at home
If you notice that your child is exhibiting any of those symptoms or sign it should be reported to a doctor. Also, many medical professionals must report suspected abuse. Those professionals include the following:
- Law enforcement
- Social Workers
- School employees
- Health professionals
Unfortunately, not everybody takes their duties seriously. Sexual abuse attorneys have handled numerous cases where children are not protected how they should.
What Actions Does Sexual Assault Cover?
It is somewhat different from sexual abuse. There is ore involved in sexual assault than just sexual contact. All acts of unwanted sexual advances and molestation are included. It includes but is not limited to the acts below:
- Child molestation
- Forced sexual intercourse
- Forcible sodomy
- Attempted rape
Many sexual assault victims do not ever report their abuse. Some of the many reasons for that include the following:
- Fear of retaliation
- They are in denial
- They are in embarrassed
- The situation makes them very uncomfortable
- They do not believe their accounts will be taken seriously
- They are afraid they will not be believed
Sexual assault survivors are entitled to receive justice. Our experienced personal injury attorneys at Rueb Stoller Daniel will always treat you with the respect that you deserve. They will demand that the individuals responsible for your family member’s abuse are held accountable for their actions.
Assault Statistics and Sexual Abuse
This country’s assault statistics and sexual abuse are staggering. It is difficult to imagine why anyone would want to harm a child or any other sexual assault victim. However, it occurs on a daily basis. The following are some of the highly disturbing statistics:
- The Federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reports that 25% of girls and 17% of boys are sexually abused before turning 18 years old
- 93% of all juvenile victims know who their attacker is
- On the US Department of Justice National Sex Offender Public’s Website, it is reported that just 30 percent of sexual assault cases are reported to authorities
- Nearly 40 percent of sex abuse victims have difficulties maintaining and forming relationships later on in life
- It is more likely that sexual abuse victims suffer from suicidal thoughts and depression
The National Crime Victimization Survey was released in 2017 by the Department of Justice that reported that every 98 seconds someone in the US is sexually assaulted
Call A Los Angeles Sexual Abuse Lawyer for Your Confidential Free Consultation
If either your child or another family has become a victim of sexual assault or abuse, you should talk to an experienced attorney at Rueb Stoller Daniel. They will carefully review your case as well as answer your questions.
Our compassionate lawyers will listen to your account and your information will be kept confidential. Call our sexual abuse law firm in Los Angeles today at (833) 44-DRLAW and get your free initial consultation scheduled. You deserve justice and our attorneys at Rueb Stoller Daniel will ensure that the party who is guilty is held accountable for their actions.